Saturday, February 15, 2014

Getting into Gear

I see a lot of people jump into MFP, having decided to take the first step but they really don't have a clue what to do.  Most people are not prepared for the journey they are about to undertake, they just see the destination wayyyyy over there and want it.  For certain, if you want to get in the race you have to get on the track.  They are starting in the right place but really don't know what to do next.  The other people here at MFP become a sort of make shift pit crew.  New users can hear a lot of noise but that still may not prepare them for them for life on the track.

I am one of the unfortuante ones who knows the path to success but was too lazy to get on it.  I was never a "certified trainer" but I was a Sergeant in the Army, and I had soldiers of my own.  My company commander saw I was good at "special needs" PT (those the unit considered fat or broken), and I whipped them back into shape.  Not because I yelled the loudest or was the meanest, but because I looked at what the root cause of the problem was and developed a program that was best for them.  90% of the time, weight was the issue.  Chances are, you are not in the military.  So, I am not going to address anyone as such.  BUT, I can give you ten tools to help succeed.

  1. Start today.  Does not matter if it is 10:00 PM and your day is over.  Log it as best you can.  How many times have you said "I will start tomorrow" but tomorrow does not agree with starting?
  2. Go get a digital scale to weigh your food.  You are going to need it.  Guessing at calories = guessing at weight loss.  It also leaves it up to us to fill in the blanks.  We can think we are doing great and kidding ourselves in the process.  You gain muscle in the gym, but lose fat in the kitchen.
  3. Get a tape measure.  Something like the MyoTape is a good one that you can use on yourself.  (http://www.amazon.com/AccuFitness-MT05-MyoTape-Body-Measure/dp/B000G7YW7Y.  BodyBuilder.com offers freebies of these with some purchases (that is how I got mine).
  4. If you don't have access to a scale, go get one.  It does not have to be fancy.  I would recommend digital that can hit the half pound.
  5. Go take a picture of yourself in something as close to your birthday suit as possible.  Do this once a month.
  6. Go to a site that allows you to calculate your Body Fat Percentage.  I like this one (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator).  Go into MFP and set each of these stats to track these measurements.  You will measure yourself twice a month, record the stats and calculate your BF%.
  7. Weigh yourself twice a week.  However, don't get upset at weight fluctations.  Keep your eyes on your tape measurements and BF%.  They are a better judge of your fitness level than just weight.  Just hit the Records link whenever to see how you are progressing.
  8. I recommend doing something to increase your heart rate for 30 minutes at least three times a week.  I personally try to do something six days a week, even if it only to go out for a walk.  Even a 15 minute walk at lunch is better than nothing.
  9. I would recommend eveyone take the following three supplements: a multivitimin of some sort, CLA and Fish Oil (or Kryll Oil, etc).  The benefits behind taking these is very well documented.
  10. Listen to your body.  I did not say listen to your cravings, because that will get you in a world of trouble.  Listening to your body is something most people have to learn.  To many people equate Food Drunk to full, but it is not.  A lot of people say that missing a meal is harmful to your health, but it is not (though it may slow your metabolism).  Maybe you are better off eating five or six small meals a day.  Maybe you need to consume the largest portion of your calories earlier.  Maybe you have more focus working out in the evening than getting up early in the morning.  These are all things you have to figure out.  Slow down when you eat.  If you have eaten your allocated portion, stop.  For instance, I eat my salad and then wait a bit.  Then I move into my next course.  Give your body a chance to figure out home much you have consumed.
Your goal is your own.  I don't know if you are here to gain muscle, lose fat, get in better shape, etc.  While you may have your eyes on the prize, I would look to a place for a pit stop now and again.  For instance, 50 lbs is a long way away.  Setting a short term goal of 5 lbs may be a good place to start.  My short term goals are not weight goals but activity cycles.  I want to finish a program (currently C25K) and then move onto the next program.  I want the sense of accomplishment for completing a physical goal.  As long as I am eating right, gaining muscle, endurance is increasing and I am "looking" better then I know my target body fat percentage is going to come along.

Your engine is started, the flagged has been waved... all you need to do is get into gear and press down on the accelerator.  I hope to see you fly around the track and look forward to reading your success story.

Disclaimer: I give this advise not as a medical professional.  If you are alergic to shellfish or have gout, you may need to look at your Fish Oil supplement more closely.  If you have an underlying medical condition, then you need to address your diet/activity changes with your healthcare provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment